The impact of infidelity on your relationship can be devastating.
The first step is to heal from the shock of realizing what has happened to your marriage. You may feel that you have lost everything, including your trust and love, leaving you traumatized and despairing.
Facing infidelity can bring up a lot of intense emotions:
- Shock. How could your marriage have unravelled so completely?
- Hurt. How could the person you loved the most hurt you in this way?
- Blame. You don’t know if you can ever forgive your partner.
- Volatility. You can’t find your own grounding as you feel both deeply wounded and unbelievably angry.
- Desperate. What will happen to your life now?
It can be difficult to face this level of emotion.
Having a marriage counselor guide you through this traumatic experience- both individually and as a couple- can help you begin to put the pieces of your relationship back together.
What to expect from our work together.
Stage 1 - Creating a safe place for both partners to share honest and raw feelings about what has happened in your relationship.
Stage 2 - Learning to hear and respect your partner's perspective, even as you disagree with their behavior.
Stage 3 - As healing occurs, we will begin to explore the dynamics that made your relationship vulnerable to infidelity.
Stage 4 - Over time, trust will be rebuilt and a new, deeper level of connection will emerge.
Stage 5 - With a new understanding between you, your marriage will be stronger and happier than before.